How a great viewer can make a huge difference to your property sale
This weeks article stems for a true story. It is from the experience of a client of ours whose home we are in the process of selling. Our client shared with us her experience of trying to move home to date. It made for interesting reading……
Choosing an estate agent to sell your home can be a bit of a minefield. How do you know you are choosing the right one? The person who values your home is rarely the one who shows clients around, so how can you be certain that you are getting the best viewer when it comes to getting the best price for your home?
First of all, do not under-estimate the importance of a great viewer. Buying a house is the biggest purchase you’ll ever make. I spent longer looking for my dining room table than I did viewing the home I live in. Crazy isn’t it!
So what makes a great viewer? What qualities should they have?
First of all, a great viewer needs to have a likeable personality. They need to be enthusiastic and love what they do. They will be meeting and greeting your potential buyers. They need to build rapport quickly and put them ease.
Secondly, they need to have a good knowledge of the local area and most importantly have knowledge about your home. What does your home offer beyond what we can see? What makes it special? Why should a viewer choose your home over others similar up for sale? A good viewer will communicate with the viewers pointing out your best features, letting them know what you’ve had done and when and also making useful suggestions if something doesn’t feel quite right.
Thirdly a good viewer will show interest in your viewers! They’ll find out what they are really looking for, those things that are important to them and their family. Different people have different requirements. For some it is a large garden. For other’s it a kitchen diner. We’ve even had one viewer who needed space to keep his canoe!
Our clients words….
“I have viewed with three agents and funnily enough the three I had value mine!
- One agent looked like I had disturbed her day. No enthusiasm at all and it all seemed an effort.
- The other was professional but full of the spin. If the layout of a room is rubbish don’t spin it as an asset as you look a fool.
- Please turn up on time. I had one five minutes late and no apology.
- And then there was Peter! On time, smart and acknowledged my little girl. She is part of our family so that was lovely. He took time to understand the background and reasons we wanted to move. Pointed out the positives, offered ideas to solve issues (small kitchen at one home so extend across the back) and did not pressure. When I viewed with him I knew that not only were the valuation and office team good but the people who did the viewings had the same standard.
- Call backs ranged from next day (you guys) to three days later”
My clients experience isn’t unique to her. We hear similar stories regularly. If you want to make sure you are choosing the right estate agent, find out a bit about their viewing procedure. Begin with – Is the viewer a full-time member of the team? Ask about their results. Some agents employ retired people to carry out their viewings, some employ students. I know of viewers who just work when the are needed and are paid a flat rate per viewing. I’ve even viewed houses myself in the past to be told that they were just there to unlock the door!
Of course, selling homes isn’t just about the quality of the viewer, this just one small but very important part. Top marketing and correct pricing are essential too!
If you are thinking of moving, please give me or my colleague Nina a call. It’s free to chat. In fact you only pay us on results. For a bespoke moving plan call us on 01524 843322 or 409100. You can also reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org